Welcome to Ralph Butterfield Primary School
Ralph Butterfield Primary School is situated in the town of Haxby on the outskirts of York. The school was named after the late Dr Ralph Butterfield, a local man and Chairman of the old North Riding Education Committee who became Pro-Chancellor of the University of York.
At Ralph Butterfield Primary School we all work together for the benefit of the children. Every individual works towards the continued improvement and development of the school in order to provide the best possible all round education for the children entrusted to us. We aim to give children the best possible start to their educational career. We provide a warm, secure and stimulating environment. Children feel valued and respected and in turn are taught to value and respect themselves and others.
0855 - 1520 (KS1 and Reception)
0855 - 1525 (KS2)
Message from the Headteacher
Our school prides itself on the outstanding level of care it shows for each individual child. We are also very proud of the high academic standards which our pupils have achieved over many years. We encourage children to care for other s and show high standards of behaviour; we are pleased to say that is what is usually displayed from our pupils.
Through focused and high quality teaching, children make rapid progress and respond to the very high expectations we have of them. We track children’s progress rigorously and expect all staff to have high expectations of all pupils. Our highly skilled SENCO works alongside teachers to ensure well focused and effective support for the children who are finding learning more challenging. We have a number of children who perform extremely highly and expect that they will be catered for in every year group so that they make very good progress with their learning. In the last three years we have worked hard to ensure children make very good progress with the core skills from when they enter the school in Reception throughout every year group until they leave in Year 6. This means that we can ensure a wider curriculum for all pupils. We have focused on improving sporting and music opportunities for children, with every child learning to play the recorder in Year 2 and every child learning to play flute or clarinet in year 4 during curriculum time. We have also increased the number of educational visits both from and to the school.
I was appointed Headteacher in April 2005, having previously been Deputy Head here for 10 years and a class teacher here since 1990. I think the school is a fantastic place to be; a place where we work hard but have fun too. Our school enjoys an excellent reputation and together with governors, staff, children and parents we look forward to making the school’s future great too.
Mrs A R Mitchell
As a school, we have agreed the following:
A CHILD’S LEARNING JOURNEY THROUGH OUR SCHOOL
Over the 7 years that a child is at our school, he or she will develop the following qualities to prepare them for being successful in the world they will live in:
- Be emotionally competent and resilient, fully prepared to be good citizens of the world with a positive sense of self worth
- Be able to express their ideas and emotions creatively through all subjects. Develop independent thinking skills and take responsibility for their progress and learning
- Learn in a suitable, stimulating and safe environment
- Be respectful and show understanding and tolerance of a range of beliefs and cultures
- Leave Ralph Butterfield having attained the highest possible standards
Some comments from Parents of our outgoing Year 6 pupils on annual report return forms July 2017:
- “Thank you for your kind words and praise for our child’s achievements this year. The support he has received from the school over the last seven years has been exceptional”
- “Thank you for such a lovely report. I don’t actually think I am ready for my child to leave such a supportive and caring environment. Thank you for all you have done for my child in terms of excellent teaching, care and support.”
- “We greatly appreciate all of the hard work that teachers and TA have put into helping our child to achieve her potential this year. Thank you also for Headteacher’s wonderful comments. Over the past seven years our child has thoroughly enjoyed her time at Ralph Butterfield and we would like to thank all the staff for their care, dedication and skills in helping her to grow into the fabulous girl that she is. We know that you have all played a huge part in this. She has particularly blossomed in Year 6 and I know she will miss being at RB in September. Thank you for all the opportunities she has been offered.”
- “Thank you for being supportive and pushing our child. Both our child and ourselves are extremely proud of her achievements this year, her STA results were brilliant – thank you. She loved playing her role in the Lion King and I feel she is leaving primary education on a high. We appreciate everything you and the school has done and provided our child with an opportunity to do.”
- “The encouragement and care our child has had during the seven years at your school has been wonderful and helped to grow her into the confident and increasingly resilient person she is at the end of Year 6. The quality of teaching she has had at your school has been of the highest calibre and her teachers have nurtured, supported and encouraged her all the way through. The high standard of work that has always been encouraged and that she has achieved is outstanding. We knew we had made the right choice to send her to RB – the seven years there have proved without a shadow of doubt how fortunate we are that she had a place at your school. Thank you so much!”
- “We are grateful to class teacher for all her enthusiasm and care she has shown our child which has enabled her to grow in knowledge and confidence, we know she’ll treasure her Year 6 memories. Also to Mr Keaney – our child’s love and confidence with sport comes from his belief and encouragement. This has helped her be confident enough to expand this outside of school and she’s looking forward to new sporting challenges”
- “We’re sad that our child’s journey at RB is to come to an end but we know she has gained the ‘tools’ to succeed on her onward journey and if all else fails we know she will continue to smile and giggle! Thank you.”
- “You have worked so hard and our child’s achievements are credit to both you and her. We couldn’t be happier with our child’s s progress and feel she has grown in confidence and determination.”
- “Thank you so much to all the staff who helped our child display her love of fun, dance, gymnastics and now finally reading! We really appreciate the extra time and effort. Please do ask us as parents if you need extra helpers for trips or extra activities. We would be happy to continue helping if we can to ensure other children can experience the same things!”
- “We’re very pleased with our daughter’s progress this year. She has faced so many of her fears and tried so hard with everything we’re very proud of her. Thank you for your support at school.”
- “Thank you for everyone’s efforts in preparing our child for secondary school.”
- “He wouldn’t have grown into the child he is without his teacher’s input. I am very proud of our child and although he may not be top of the class I know that when he puts his mind to it he will always try his best – something RB have encouraged.”